March 8th is International Women’s Day, and we know it doesn’t get the same fanfare, fireworks, food spreads, or fun parades as some other holidays, but it should. Right?!
We, at Women ON Point, know that women are getting braver, bolder, finding their voices, banding together, speaking up, and standing out in greater numbers than ever before. And we are committed to doing even more.
International Women’s Day is a global day dedicated to celebrating the social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women throughout the world. It’s also a day that encourages action to accelerate gender parity.
It’s 2019, and yet it’s hard to believe that women are still lagging in almost every category…leadership, pay, and overall gender parity. The World Economic Forum predicted that we wouldn’t achieve global gender parity until 2095, and the gender gap wouldn’t close completely until 2133.
Not only does this defy basic common sense, it defies good business sense. It has been proven over and over that the companies that perform best financially have the greatest number of women in leadership positions. The companies that have the top 20% of financial performance, 27% of the leaders are women. In contrast, the bottom 20% of financial performers have only 19% of women in leadership roles.
Across industries, countries, and companies, men and women alike agree that more female leadership leads to stronger, healthier, and more profitable organizations. Women have a positive impact on culture, productivity, results, relationships, collaboration, teamwork, motivating and developing others, spearheading change and innovation, taking initiative, establishing stretch goals, and practicing self-development.
There seems to be no end to what we can accomplish and the value we can bring when we are in positions of leadership. The bottom line is that everyone wins when we encourage, promote, and celebrate women in leadership roles.
Speaking of celebrating, here are 10 ways to celebrate International Women’s Day and make a difference in the lives of women everyday:
- Be a mentor to a female colleague or young woman
- Join a professional women’s group or chamber of commerce
- Nominate a female colleague for an award or recommend her on LinkedIn
- Encourage a co-worker (or yourself) to ask for a raise, promotion or stretch goal
- Support a non-profit dedicated to elevating women and girls
- Take a risk and do something outside your comfort zone like running for public office
- Advocate for better Diversity & Inclusion policies in your workplace
- Remember to write your successes in your Brag Book and boost your confidence
- Start a women’s group at work, initiative an event or find other ways to advance women
- Invest in yourself and attend a professional development event like Women ON Point: Next Level Leadership (include link)
At Women ON Point we are deeply honored to be able to celebrate women all day, every day, locally and internationally. Our goal is to help set women up for success in leadership roles in every industry by offering exclusive executive leadership summits. If you are looking to polish your leadership skills, skyrocket your confidence, and surround yourself with other female leaders, then this is the event for you. Celebrate and treat yourself on this special day…check it out!